Friday, January 6, 2012

Travel and the First Week


This post was written over the course of several days. I was all ready to post on the first night I arrived, and then my computer died and it took me awhile to find a way to charge it again. Enjoy!

Greetings from Israel! Remember how I said it hadn't quite hit me yet while I was still in the states? Well, it hit me pretty hard as we rounded a corner on the highway and saw the Dome of the Rock back lit by a gorgeous sunset.
I have been traveling for...24 hours, accounting for time change and including a substantial layover in JFK. I am not quite sure how to best explain the trip and the juicy little tidbits I have learned so far, so I think I will just begin a list, and see where it goes. My jet lag may make this a little interesting.
I had to be at the airport at 6:15 am, so one of my new roommates picked me up at 5:15 am. I got bits of sleep on both flights, but not more than about 45 minutes or an hour at a time. When we got to JFK, I followed the group. Mistake. Nine of us ended up wandering out of the secured zone and had to go through security again. At least it killed an hour of our 5 hour layover. Another half an hour went by just walking around trying to decide where we wanted to eat. The second flight was 12 hours, enough time for a little of everything you can think to do sitting in the same position. Every time I started listened to Genesis 1-20 for class, I fell asleep. The good news is that I got a little further each time, so I almost made it to the end by about the 4th try.
Airplane food is still pretty bad. The breakfast snack- supposedly a hot pocket type food with eggs in the middle- was completely inedible and left me queasy for the rest the afternoon.
I made it through immigration and customs without any trouble, and once I made it to the public area, two of our teachers and some support staff were there to shepherd us along.
The rest of evening was a haze of orientation, tours, and some stunning views of the city. This is a beautiful place. During our opening orientation, the regular organist was gone, so the “second string organist” filled in- Richard Elliott, the organist for the Mormon Tabernacle choir. He is here preparing for a concert celebrating the organ's 25 anniversary.
Jet lag. Oy. At the end of the first night I thought I was doing pretty well- I even stayed up until about 11:30. I got up with no more trouble than usual the next morning- which for anyone who knows me realizes that is not saying much. I did really well until we got back from our four hour walking tour of the city. It was about 2:00 and I simply could not keep my eyes open. The rest of the day was rough just because I wanted to crawl in bed and sleep, but had two significant reading assignments to do for classes. And of course every time I started to read, I fell asleep. But I got the reading done and I today I am doing better.
Interesting things I have learned so far:
It is easy to tell what kind of neighborhood you are looking at by sight- Israeli houses have red tile roofs much like California beach homes, whereas Arab houses have flat roofs with black water tanks on top.
The land is much hillier than I imagined- there are large areas of terraced gardens growing olive trees.
Many of the buildings, especially in Tel Aviv, are made of white stone- I don't know if it is marble or limestone. It makes for an impressive sight.
The dorm rooms in the Jerusalem Center open onto an outdoor patio at both the front door and back door. I suspect it will be wonderfully warm in a few weeks, but right now the last few feet to the door are pretty chilly.
Jerusalem gets as much rain as London, but it all comes November-January.
There is only one room that we will use regularly that does not have a panoramic view of the city- the Forum. It is the regular lecture hall for classes like Ancient Near Eastern Studies. Probably a good thing, or we would not pay much attention to the teacher. At least my Old Testament teacher makes good use of his view by pointing things out as they pertain to the scripture we are discussing.
The JC is very much open to the students. Only the faculty dorms and the security booth are really off limits, and most everything is open all the time.
The Old City is dirtier than I imagined. People throw wrappers all over the place.
I still have not woken up to the morning call to prayer.
Feel free to send me questions or suggestions of places to visit. I just got back from my first trip into the city with a small group, and I am excited to spend Sunday there- I think I may go to the Israeli museum.

5 comments:

  1. If you are allowed to go, compare the dirtiness of the different quarters in the old city. There is one quarter that pine sol won't fix. And there is more than wrappers on the ground. ;)

    Have fun and post pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you! Have fun and be safe. :) Do tell about head scarves sometime. I know you had to take one - when do you need to wear it? What size(s) are normally worn? How do you wrap them? What colors are women wearing? (Are they wild and crazy dyed/embroidered or a conservative solid color or is there a lot of variation?) And most importantly, what insights about our cultural concepts of beauty, fashion and modesty will you gain as you live in a place where many women wear head scarves? I'm so curious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any classes with Brother Harper? He is one of my favorite teachers I've had at BYU, and I know he's working at the Jerusalem center right now (I was hoping to take more classes from him--bummer, but so good for you guys). I love the details and I'm excited you're writing this to share them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan- Brother Harper is here. I am not studying with him right now, but I will have him for new Testament later on in the semester. I have heard wonderful things about him so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sister Burnett- Those are all question I had not even thought to ask. Thank you for bringing them up. I will make a point of paying attention next time I go into the city, and I will let you know what I discover. Thanks for the prompt!

    ReplyDelete