Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Typical Week In the JC

So according to my recollection, I have yet to talk much about life in the Jerusalem Center.

The schedule of a normal week is as follows:
Sunday- A free day, which I generally spend in the city. I usually start out in West Jerusalem, the Jewish sector, but I always seem to end up at least stopping by the Old City to shop and wander. I am on the hosting committee, and every Sunday night the JC hosts a concert, and my job is to make sure we have four students welcoming patrons at the doors.
Monday- Field trip day. Trips are to areas nearby, lasting from 8 am to anywhere from 12-5:30 pm, depending on the destination. Last week we went to the Shephalah- low hill country between the coast and the mountains, with five valleys that connect the two- the only routes capable of supporting armies during the time the Philistines were battling the Israelites. This week we will go to the City of David, just south of the Old City. The highlight of the trip will be a trek through Hezekiah's Tunnel, a waterway under the city.
Tuesday through Friday- Classes usually 4-6 hours a day. I personally don't go into the city during the week, though there are many students who do. I find enough to do reading for classes and talking with other students.
Friday Afternoon- After a busy and tiring week going break neck pace and reading several hundred pages of dense text, I take Friday afternoons off. Sometimes I watch a movie, I have gone shopping for snacks a few times, but mostly I spend the time talking with people, one of my favorite past times. Friday nights the center hosts a movie night. So far we have watched two Indiana Jones and the Ten Commandments.
Saturday- the Sabbath. One of the best day's of the week. I have never felt the Spirit as strongly so many weeks in a row. Brother Jackson, in charge of field trips for the school, teaches Sunday School (we still haven't figured out how to call it Sabbath school, it just doesn't roll off the tongue the same way). I always look forward to class- he has such a wonderfully simple way of teaching. And his material for the hour is contained in the Book of Mormon and a 3x5 card. That hour just flies by.

The only other bit of information that may fit into this category is meals. There is little variation in food. For breakfast I eat cold cereal (what I call Nutella Squares, for lack of knowing their real name. It is cocoa with a cream filled center), fruit, and cream of wheat (amazingly creamy and one of the most delicious things I have ever tasted). Lunch is the most variable meal- it has a salad, fruit, and on Friday's we get cold cuts on deliciously crusty bread. Dinner is the most predictable thing in the world. Options are potatoes, rice, chicken, meat, fish, salad, and a dessert. The repetitiveness has begun to be tiresome, but the food is good, and the desserts are consistently quite tasty. I supplement the boring meals with hot chocolate or hot milk and a pita with Nutella, which is supplied by the quartful.

So there you have it. The wonderful world of the Jerusalem Center on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment